viaLibri Requires Cookies CLICK HERE TO HIDE THIS NOTICE

Recently found by viaLibri....

Seder Hakunteres kolel bo hakidushin vepiyutim leShabat, seder haHavdala vepizmonim leMotzaey Shabat, hadlakat ner Khanuka veSeder Purim, HAGADA SHEL PESAKH [Haggadah she Pesach Pesah Pessach] veKidushin leYamim Tov [etc.]
Yesh'ayah Vidal and Mordechai Ventura, Avignon, France 1765 - Text chiefly in Hebrew, with some Judeo-Provenc¿al (see especially leaf 47). 56 leaves, complete, but mispaginated (Leaf 20 is followed by leaf 21 but is is mispaginated as 22. Leaf 55 is followed by last leaf 56, but it is mispaginated as leaf 59. Many wine stains in the Haggadah section. Very attractive modern full leather binding. Vinograd 1; unlisted by Yudlov, Otzar Ha¿Hagadot. Compendium of selected Festive prayers throughout the year, with a complete Passover Haggadah including Seder hymns unrecorded elsewhere. The volume contains the fullest collection of Obros - the macaronic poems of which alternate lines are in Hebrew and in Judeo-Provencal. A distinctively emblematic text of the particular Jewish culture and practice that evolved in the Jewish Communities of Avignon and the neighboring territory. See C. Roth, The Liturgies of Avignon and the Comtat Venaissin in: Journal of Jewish Bibliography (1939) pages 99-105. See also New York Public Library Catalogue, A Sign and a Witness (1988) number 170 (illustrated). The Haggadah adheres to the Sepahrdic rite. For example, instead of ¿Ve-hi she-¿amdah¿ hi (without the conjunctive vav) she¿amdah.¿ And before eating the ¿Hillel sandwich:¿ ¿Zekher le-mikdash ke-hillel ha-zaken de-amar ¿al matzoth u-merorim yochluhu.¿ AVIGNON (sometimes called in Hebrew Ir ha-gefanim "city of grapes"; gefen = vigne, i.e., vine), is the capital of the department of Vaucluse, southeastern France, formerly part of Provence. Avignon was the residence of the popes for some years after 1309. In 1348 Joanna, countess of Provence, sold the city to Pope Clement VI and it belonged to the French states of the Holy See until the French Revolution. In consequence the Jews were permitted to remain there and in the adjacent area of the Comtat-Venaissin even when they were excluded from the rest of France. According to legend the Jews took part in a revolt against Bishop Stephen of Avignon in 390. The first archaeological evidence of their presence there dates from the fourth century and is given by a stamp with the five-branched menorah and the inscription: Avin (ionnensis); the first written evidence dates from 1178 when Emperor Frederick I entrusted the protection of the Jews of Avignon to Bishop Pons. The Jewish quarter was at first situated at the present Vieille Juiverie street. About 1221 it was transferred to the neighborhood of the Church of St. Peter. Its location is marked by Rue Jacob and the former Place Jérusalem (today Place Victor-Basch). The old synagogue which stood on this site was destroyed by fire in 1845 and replaced on the same spot by the existing circular synagogue in the Roman manner. Near the synagogue, or escole, there was also a wedding hall, a butchery, and the oven for baking unleavened bread. The Jewish quarter, or carrière des Juifs, was surrounded by walls and closed by three gates. The Jews of Avignon were obliged to pay a tax to the collegiate chapter of St. Peter's (Arch. départ. G IX. 10). Although covering an area of approximately 100 yards by 100 yards, the quarter nevertheless housed over 1000 persons in 1358. One of the cemeteries was located on the site formerly called La Pignotte. The statutes of the city of Avignon of 1243 mention the Communitas Iudeorum several times. It was specifically laid down (art. 84) that animals killed according to Jewish ritual were not to be sold outside the carrière. Jewish commerce flourished during the period of papal residence in Avignon, supplying the papal court with victuals, bed and table linen, horses, perfumes, coral and pearls for rosary beads, parchment, and other commodities. The tailor of Gregory XI was a Jew, as was the papal bookbinder. The less wealthy Jews generally engaged in brokerage. In 1374, 87 of 94 textile dealers and 41 of 62 timber merchants were Jews. In the 14th century, Jewish moneylending on interest, practically nonexistent in the previous century, gradually developed, although limited in scale. [Attributes: Hard Cover]
      [Bookseller: Meir Turner]
Last Found On: 2015-02-22           Check availability:      AbeBooks    

LINK TO THIS PAGE: www.vialibri.net/years/items/881071/1765-vidal-yeshayah-ventura-mordekhai-seder-hakunteres-kolel-bo-hakidushin-vepiyutim

Browse more rare books from the year 1765


      Home     Wants Manager     Library Search     561 Years   Links     Contact      Search Help      Terms of Service     


Copyright © 2017 viaLibri™ Limited. All rights reserved.