viaLibri Requires Cookies CLICK HERE TO HIDE THIS NOTICE

Recently found by viaLibri....

Exceptionally rare Civil War relic! An original brick taken from the Confederacy?s ?White House?
Brick approximately 8? x 4? x 2?. Plaque included, but not attached, which reads: ?This Brick From / The / Original White House / Of The / Confederacy / Richmond, Virginia.? Richmond, Virginia, circa 1861. Fine Condition. Architect Robert Mills built the building now known as the White House of the Confederacy in 1818 for Dr. John Brockenbrough. The mansion is a fine example of Federal-style architecture. Just before the outbreak of the Civil War, then-owner Lewis Dabney Crenshaw added a third floor and sold the building to the City of Richmond, who, in turn, rented it to the Confederate government. From 1861 to 1865, Richmond served as the capitol of the Confederate States of America. The mansion was the official headquarters of the Confederacy?s only president, Jefferson Davis. During the Reconstruction period, the home was used to house the commanding officer of Military District Number One. The building opened as the Confederate Museum in 1896. There was a renovation between the
      [Bookseller: University Archives]
Last Found On: 2014-10-10           Check availability:      Biblio    

LINK TO THIS PAGE: www.vialibri.net/years/items/741124/1861-civil-war-exceptionally-rare-civil-war-relic-an

Browse more rare books from the year 1861


      Home     Wants Manager     Library Search     561 Years   Links     Contact      Search Help      Terms of Service     


Copyright © 2017 viaLibri™ Limited. All rights reserved.