viaLibri Requires Cookies CLICK HERE TO HIDE THIS NOTICE

Recently found by viaLibri....

Heraldic Visitations of Wales and Part of the Marches.
Welsh Manuscript Society, Llandovery 1846 - Heraldic Visitations of Wales and Part of the Marches; Between the Years 1586 and 1613, under the Authority of Clarencieux and Norroy, Two Kings at Arms, By Lewys Dwnn, Deputy Herald at Arms; Transcribed from the Original Manuscripts, and Edited, with. 2 Volumes. In the original green cloth with embossed covers, spine has been relaid, keeping the original labels. Volume 1 - 340 pp + errata. Some very minimal foxing to the first 2 pages. Has a wonderful frontipiece by WL Walton of the Hirlas or drinking horn, presented by King Henry VII to Davydd ab Ieuan of Llwyn Davydd in Cardigan. Volume 2 - 370 pp with a frontispiece showing facsimiles of Autographs. A wonderful and informative book. Meyrick, Sir Samuel Rush (1783-1848), antiquary and historian of arms and armour, born on 26 August 1783, was the only surviving son of John Meyrick (d. 1805), FSA, agent, of Great George Street, Westminster, and Peterborough House, Fulham, and of his wife, Hannah (d. 1832), daughter and coheir of Samuel Rush of Ford House, Hertfordshire, and Chislehurst, Kent. He matriculated from Queen's College, Oxford, in 1800 and graduated BA in 1804, then proceeded MA and BCL in 1810, and DCL in 1811. On 3 October 1803 he married Mary (c.1784-1818), the daughter of James Parry of Llwyn Hywel, Cardiganshire. This early marriage offended his father, who arranged that his property should bypass his son and devolve to his son's children. There was in the event only one son, Llewelyn (1804-1837), who died unmarried before his father; the property then passed to Sir Samuel. His last published work was an edition of Lewis Dwnn's Heraldic Visitation of Wales, for the Society for the Publication of Ancient Welsh Manuscripts (1846). Meyrick died at Goodrich Court on 2 April 1848, and was buried in the churchyard of St Giles's Church there. His property was left to his second cousin Lieutenant-Colonel Augustus Meyrick. The armour was exhibited in Manchester in 1857 and at the South Kensington Museum in 1868, being arranged on both occasions by Planché. The museum failed to buy the collection when it was offered for £50,000, and about 1871 Colonel Meyrick's son and heir sold both the armoury and the art treasures at Goodrich Court. Many of the pieces were bought by the Paris dealer and collector Frederic Spitzer, and some were later acquired by Sir Richard Wallace and are now in the Wallace Collection. Goodrich Court itself was demolished in 1950. (ODNB) [Attributes: First Edition; Hard Cover]
      [Bookseller: Madoc Books]
Last Found On: 2014-10-02           Check availability:      AbeBooks    

LINK TO THIS PAGE: www.vialibri.net/years/items/715086/1846-meyrick-sir-samuel-rush-editor-heraldic-visitations-of-wales-and-part

Browse more rare books from the year 1846


      Home     Wants Manager     Library Search     562 Years   Links     Contact      Search Help      Terms of Service     


Copyright © 2018 viaLibri™ Limited. All rights reserved.