viaLibri Requires Cookies CLICK HERE TO HIDE THIS NOTICE

Recently found by viaLibri....

Texas
January 17, 1843. Manuscript Document Signed “Wm Henry Daingerfield / Secretary Treasury” of the Republic of Texas, one page, 8” x 5”. Treasury Department, Washington, [Texas], January 17, 1843. Four endorsements on verso. Worn, creased, and uniformly foxed; unobtrusive cancellation cuts. Clear, dark signatures. Very good condition.

In full, “The Sheriff of Fayette County will pay to S.S.B. Fields Assessor of said County, or Order, the sum of Seventy five 33/100 dollars in Exchequer Bills, out of any money collected by him on account of Taxes for the Year 1842 it being the amount of his commissions on assessing the sum of $1500.00.” On verso, Manuscript Endorsement Signed “Pay to / Nathl Norwood - / S.S.B. Fields;” Autograph Endorsement Signed “Pay to the President & Trustees of / Ruterville [sic, Rutersville] College Nathaniel Norwood / Washington Feb 13th 1843” (seal remnants on Norwood’s endorsement); Autograph Endorsements Signed “Recd of the within fifty one 16/100 dollars 27th Feby 1843 J H Hawkins” and “Recd in full .. J H Hawkins Atty.”

William Henry Daingerfield (1808-1878) moved from Maryland to San Antonio in 1837. He was elected the 2nd Mayor of San Antonio in 1838, becoming Chief Justice of Bexar County the same year. In 1839, Daingerfield was appointed Commissary of Purchases of the Army of the Republic of Texas. From 1840-1842, he served as a Senator in the Fifth and Sixth Texas Congresses, resigning in 1842 to become Secretary of the Treasury in the cabinet of President Sam Houston. It was as Houston’s Secretary of the Treasury that Daingerfield signed this document. In February 1844, he became Texas Minister to the Netherlands, Belgium, and the Hanse towns (the maritime cities of Germany), serving until annexation.

Smallwood S.B.”Steamboat” Fields practiced law in La Grange in 1839 and served as Fayette County tax assessor from1840 until his death in 1846. He represented Fayette County in the Texas House of Representatives from 1842-1843 and was editor of the LaGrange “Intelligencer” from 1844-1845.

Rutersville College was located in Rutersville, seven miles northeast of La Grange. It was the first chartered Protestant college in Texas. The coeducational school opened in 1840 with 63 students. It was the dream of Martin Ruter, a Methodist missionary from Tennessee and superintendent of the Methodist mission in Texas, who had died in 1838. The town of Rutersville developed simultaneously with the college. Enrollment reached 194 by 1844-1845, but Indian attacks, the departure of students for the Mexican War, and the establishment of Baylor University in 1845 caused a decline in the number of students. In 1856, Rutersville College was merged with Texas Monumental and Military Institute.

      [Bookseller: University Archives]
Last Found On: 2018-01-09           Check availability:      Biblio    

LINK TO THIS PAGE: www.vialibri.net/years/items/32221765/1843-texas

Browse more rare books from the year 1843


      Home     Wants Manager     Library Search     562 Years   Links     Contact      Search Help      Terms of Service     


Copyright © 2018 viaLibri™ Limited. All rights reserved.