viaLibri Requires Cookies CLICK HERE TO HIDE THIS NOTICE

Recently found by viaLibri....

Missale Cisterciense, juxta novissimam romani recogniti correctionem, authoritate reverendissimi domini D. Abbatis Cisterciensis generalis editum
Antwerp: ex officina Plantiniana Balthasaris Moreti, 1688. Folio, pp. [60], 488, xcix, [1]; bound with: Supplementum missarum pro monasterio Salem, [Salem?: ca. 1700], 8pp. bound with: four single sheet special masses. Printed in red and black throughout, engraved vignette title-p., 3 full-p. copperplate engravings are found before the proper op the season, the ordinary of the mass, and the feast of the Assumption; bound in at the back is an 8-p. supplement for the Cistercian Monastery at Salem in southern Germany; bound in contemporary full black morocco, gilt-tooled paneling on both covers, gilt fillets on spines, leather thongs with brass clasps (one clasp missing); gold and red Dutch floral pastedowns, a.e.g., top and bottom edges gauffered around headbands; some finger soiling throughout, occasional mild dampstaining, but in all a very good, impressive copy. A Catholic altar missal according to the Cistercian use, and employing the black notes and red staves of the Georgian musical notation. This copy was acquired by the Cistercian monastery in Salem in southern Germany (Baden) following the fire in 1697 that destroyed many of the buildings. The monastery secularized in 1802 and the library was moved to Peterhausen, and thence was sold to the University of Heidelberg. A portion of the library, including this volume, was acquired by Baron von Lassberg. The Lassberg collection of post-incunabula was sold en bloc to an Anglo-American bookselling consortium in 1999. The Cistercian Monastery at Salem was an important imperial abbey, founded in 1136 by Bl. Frowin (a companion of St. Bernard of Clairvaux). It was noted in the Middle Ages as being the most beautiful and richest monastery in all of Germany. At the beginning of the 14th century no less than 285 monks called it home. The Church was not destroyed until the fire of 1697, and the rest of the monastery was beautifully rebuilt around it. But by 1698 the monastery had only 49 priests and 13 choir monks. In September 1802, as a consequence of Napoleon's policies, the abbey was secularized and became Schloss Salem, a summer residence for the Margave of Baden. An impressive volume, beautifully printed, and enhanced by the presence of the additional Supplement and single sheet masses at the back. Not in OCLC.
      [Bookseller: Rulon-Miller Books]
Last Found On: 2017-06-22           Check availability:      IOBABooks    

LINK TO THIS PAGE: www.vialibri.net/years/items/10481584/1688-catholic-church-liturgy-ritual-missale-cisterciense-juxta-novissimam-romani-recogniti

Browse more rare books from the year 1688


      Home     Wants Manager     Library Search     561 Years   Links     Contact      Search Help      Terms of Service     


Copyright © 2017 viaLibri™ Limited. All rights reserved.