| Recently found by viaLibri....
Original Deed to a Notable Historic Property - Picton Castle Estate Property] - 1865. 
London 1865 - An ORIGINAL 1865 Indenture to Real Estate in Pembrokeshire, Wales, adjacent to the historic Picton Castle Estate -- Picton Castle being a medieval Castle near Haverford West in Pembrokeshire originally constructed in the 13th Century by a Flemish Knight. The Castle became the property of Sir John Wogan, an ancestor of the Philipps family, who was a Cambro-Norman judge and who served as Justiciar of Ireland from 1295 to 1313, making him the most important Common Law Judge of Ireland at the time. [The Cambro-Normans were Normans who settled in southern Wales after the Norman conquest of England in 1066 conducted by William the Conqueror. The most prominent Cambro-Norman was Richard "Strongbow" de Clare, whose lands in Wales centered on Pembroke and who led the Norman invasion of Ireland.] The land conveyed by the Indenture described herein and dated 29th September 1865 was sold for 775 Pounds by Henry Sanders of Tenby in Pembroke County to Rev. James Henry Alexander Philipps, Vicar of St. Marys, Haverfordwest (Philipps being a descendant of Sir John Wogan who formerly had the surname Gwyther but who assumed the name Phillips upon taking title to Picton Castle). By this Indenture (which one now would describe as a "Deed") Philipps expanded the Picton Castle Estate by seventeen acres, one rood and five perches. The property thereby conveyed was then generally known as Little Kilbanow and is shown in a drawing made upon the Indenture and shaded in pink. The the conveyed property is shown as a set of numbered parcels, the respective then-uses of which are set forth in a chart shown on the Indenture. From examining the drawings, it appears that the acquisition of the property covered by the Indenture filled a large gap in the Picton Estate property. Picton Castle -- and certainly the property conveyed by this Indenture -- was seized by the French in 1405 and was later seized by the Parliamentary Forces in 1645 during the English Civil War -- showing the Castle and adjacent land to be a strategically important Welsh properly. Picton Castle remains owned and occupied by descendants of James Henry Alexander Philipps and we assume that the property conveyed by the Indenture does so as well . The deed (which measures approximately 28 inches X approximately 22 1/2 inches) is in Fine condition with all wax seals and the stamp tax sticker present. [An interesting article on Picton Castle and its history can be found on Wikipedia.] A Fine ORIGINAL INDENTURE [DEED] CONVEYING A PORTION OF ONE OF THE MOST NOTABLE PROPERTIES IN ALL OF WALES. RARE. [No Binding -- Single Sheet Document [Attributes: First Edition; Signed Copy]
[Bookseller: Allington Antiquarian Books, LLC (IOBA)]
Copyright © 2016 viaLibri Limited. All rights reserved.