| Recently found by viaLibri....
SAINT-PETERSBURG SCHOOL OF JURISPRUDENCE - - 1897. 
St. Petersburg - [St. Petersburg, 1897-1898]. 20 pp. with 27 photographs. Contemporary full-leather binding with stamping in gold on the front board. Moire endpapers. All-edges gilt. Binder's label on the front pastedown "A. Abe" (St. Petersburg). Very good. Some foxing, boards rubbed, few tears of free endpapers. Some photos slightly tanned. The Imperial School of Jurisprudence was, along with Tsarskoye Selo Lyceum and the Page Corps, the most prestigious school for boys in St. Petersburg. It was founded by Duke Peter of Oldenburg, tsar's nephew, in 1835. The goal was to bring up competent would-be imperial administrators. School was accepting boys from 12 to 17 only from nobles. Students who weren't able to pay for their education were paid for from the special fund created by high-ranking graduates. For their green coats and triangle hats they were called 'siskins'. In school they were learning the history of Roman law, criminal, civil, and international law, political economics, history of philosophy, forensic medicine, finance et al. There were more than 2000 graduates including Aleksey Apukhtin, Konstantin Pobedonostsev, Vladimir Stasov, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and his younger brother Modest. Among teachers were the leading lawyers of Russia. There were created a library and a school's museum. This photo album consists of photographs made mostly inside the school building accept two photos of the facade and front entrance and one photo of the back yard. Among interiors are gym, dining room, kitchen, sleeping room, showers, halls, library, classes, boiler room, small church, memorial to Alexander II. Students, teachers, servants and others are depicted on the most of the photos. [Attributes: First Edition; Hard Cover]
Copyright © 2016 viaLibri Limited. All rights reserved.