| Recently found by viaLibri....
Die Architektur des XX Jahrhunderts: Zeitschrift - LICHT, Hugo (editor) - 1904. 
1904 - Large portfolios (493 x 324 mm), each in the publisher's original printed card wrappers with flaps, comprising thirty-eight parts (four to a year), covering the years 1904 -1913 and the first half of 1914, each part containing 25 large, titled b/w photo plates (950 in total), printed on thick card, each part preceded by extensive, descriptive letterpress with text in German, French and English (parts 4-9) German text only from parts 10-14, illustrated with plans, sections and elevations and photo figures, all loose as issued; ex- Bradford Public Library but without stamps, neat ink accession numbers to the upper corners of the front wrappers; a few closed tears to the wrappers of the early parts, otherwise a particularly bright, fresh set. First published in 1901, the present substantial run commences in 1904 and terminates with the last part published in June 1914, just prior to the outbreak of the Great War the following month. The journal's editor Hugo Licht (1841-1923), was an architect, teacher and Leipzig's Director of Municipal Building. His principal buildings designed in a monumental classical style include the city's Music Conservatory, the Grassi Museum and the City Hall. Die Architektur provides a wealth of descriptive and illustrative information on German, north European and American architecture of the period. As Barbara Miller Lane notes in the Macmillan Dictionary of Architects (Macmillan, 1982), it was 'as an architectural publicist and editor that Licht had his greatest influence. Very early in his career, Licht had developed close ties to the Ernst Wasmuth publishing house in Berlin; out of this relationship came a long series of extensive compilations of drawings and photographs of German architecture, which helped to make German architects aware of each other and to make their accomplishments available to the outside world. These compilations stressed new building types - office buildings, stores and factories - and contributed to the view that such buildings could legitimately be seen as "high architecture." In 1901 Licht persuaded Wasmuth to begin publishing Die Architektur des XX. Jahrhunderts: Zeitschrift fÃ¼r moderne Baukunstâ¦, an extraordinarily lavish journal consisting principally of photographs, with accompanying commentary in three languages. Under Licht's direction, Die Architektur., launched the careers of many young architects in Germany and did more than any previous journal had done to overcome provincialism in German architecture'. We have only been able to locate one complete run of the journal, that held by Nottingham University Library. In the one other instance where the run is complete it appears to lack two of the photo plates. Other institutions hold runs substantially smaller than the one offered here. [Attributes: Soft Cover]
[Bookseller: Henry Sotheran Ltd]
Copyright © 2016 viaLibri Limited. All rights reserved.