| Recently found by viaLibri....
Monasticon Anglicanum: Or, the History of - DUGDALE, Sir William [1605-1686] - 1718. 
Printed by R. Harbin; for D. Browne and J. Smith, et al., London 1718 - Three volumes in one (continuous pagination). Pp. 1 p.l., xvi, 375 (ie. 387),  index & ads. With added engraved title, title in red and black, and 102 (of 103) full-page copper-engraved plates, many of them folding, some by Wenceslaus Hollar. Lacking plate 48, "Hugh Lupus Earle of Chester sitting in his Parliament". Bound in contemporary speckled calf, panelled in blind with ornamental rolls and corner pieces, recently rebacked with blind tooled compartments between raised bands, gilt morocco label. Covers a little rubbed and worn at extremities, front endpaper creased, engraved title and some plates lightly toned, but overall a clean, crisp copy, marred only by the absence of one plate. The "Monasticon Anglicanum" was originally published in Latin, in three volumes, folio, in 1655, 1661, and 1673, by Sir William Dugdale, assisted by Roger Dodsworth (1585-1654). It was first epitomized in English by James Wright in 1693 -- "a superficial epitome" (Lowndes) with only 15 plates. A second English abridgment (this edition) appeared in 1718, composed by an "eminent hand". Described as "much more worthy of the original" (DNB), it was undoubtedly translated by Captain John Stevens, who in 1722-23 provided two supplementary volumes to Dugdale's work, containing many charters and histories of friaries not mentioned in the original work. An even more comprehensive and magnificent edition was published in 6 volumes, folio, in 1817-30. Lowndes II, 686-7. Size: Folio [Attributes: Hard Cover]
[Bookseller: Contact Editions, ABAC, ILAB]
Copyright © 2016 viaLibri Limited. All rights reserved.